Summer is here. What are you doing sitting at home dreaming about traveling somewhere far, far away?! Get going. Get moving! We are off to Norway for 2 weeks end of August and are looking very mush forward!
However, sometimes the journey can be a bit of a hassle, so to make it smooth and effortless, I have put together a list of travel-hacks and must-haves to make the whole experience more enjoyable.
Travel Hacks Before You Leave
- Instead of a hotel, look into reserving a home if traveling with a family, or a single room if alone. Websites like AirBnB can provide homes and private rooms from home owners who are renting them out, usually offering better accommodations than hotels.
- Roll your clothes when packing. Instead of creating a folded pile in your suitcase, rolling allows you to fit more things in. Plus, you can even roll underwear and socks within your clothes for optimal space-saving.
MUST-HAVE: Expandable trolley Case
- Scan your passport, identification card, and itinerary and email them to yourself. This provides an extra copy of each in the event of loss or theft. As an Android user, once I email the documents to myself, I usually open the email on my Samsung S7 and save them onto Evernote. This provides me with an offline record.
- It’s important to remember to call your credit or debit card company before you leave to ensure that you have your card authorized for your foreign destination. This prevents them from suspecting suspicious activity.
- Mark your baggage as fragile. This is a tip I learned a while ago from a friend who found it to be a great way to ensure that your baggage is handled correctly. Your luggage is kept at the top because of this, which will make it one of the first bags to be released.
- Use Google Maps offline by typing “OK Maps” and the visible area will save for future access.
- Make your own awesome travel beverage. Bring a thermos with lemon, honey, and your own tea bag. Then have the flight attendant fill it with hot water—it makes the flight a tiny bit more relaxing.
- Scarf or Shawl give you infinite options. Use one as a blanket when you’re cold, or fold it over your face to block out the light for a nap.
MUST-HAVE: Joules Woven Scarf
Travel Hacks For the Departure
- Bring your own water bottle. Depending on the airline’s own policies regarding drink costs, the amount of times water is offered may not be to your liking. Having your own water bottle ensures that you have water when you want it. When they do come around, top off your bottle with what they give you.
MUST-HAVE: Glass Water Bottle
- Pack a carry-on for the flight. I bring my tablet, laptop, headphones, shawl, neck pillow, tea-bags, snacks, pampering kit (moisturiser, essential oil roll-ons, lip balm, pain killers, hand cream etc.)
MUST-HAVE: Cashmere Neck Pillow
- Splurge on Internet service if your flight is more than six-and-a-half hours long – you can complete work for the last time before you hit your destination. Or simply upload a few of your favourite movies on to your gadgets.
MUST-HAVE: Lifestyle Organiser
- Ensure that you have a pen before leaving home so you can complete customs forms. Fill the forms out when you get them.
- 20 minutes before you land, sprint for the bathroom. Usually when the seat-belt light comes on, I’ve found that you still have 15 minutes of leeway until you truly have to be seated. Use this opportunity to relieve yourself to prevent fighting for restrooms when you land.